Cassidy's Moving and Storage
How Much Do Movers Cost? (Updated for 2020)
Moving professionals are more affordable, saving you money and time. If you’re moving within Ottawa, there are three types of things that will affect how much it costs to hire movers: storage, packing, and how much you need us to move.
Let’s look at some actual sample costs.
Average Moving Costs for Typical Homes in 2020
At Cassidy’s we charge by the number of movers and how many hours it takes.
Here are some sample costs for 2020*
- Typical 2-bedroom townhouse: Starting at $870 – $1,015 in June through August, and a bit less in the off season.
- Typical 2-bedroom apartment with elevator: $870 – $1,160 from June to August. A slow-moving elevator can add to the time.
- Typical 3-bedroom house: Starts around $1,600 in June through August.
- Typical 4-bedroom home: Usually averages around $2,300 June to August.
* Please remember we need to visit your home and do a proper estimate in order to give you an accurate cost for your unique situation. Due to COVID-19 some costs have changed, call or email your representative to get the latest pricing.
Come September, these rates drop significantly.
These are averages for local moves only. The truck, pads, and moving equipment like dollies are included. Packing and storage are not included.
Packing costs for a typical 3-bedroom home usually end up in the $2,000 – $3,000 range for a full pack.
Again, your cost may be much cheaper if we’re only doing a partial pack, but to be sure talk to your moving consultant. You can learn more about our packing services here.
How Our Ottawa Moving Costs Work
Here are some of the things that will affect the final cost of your move.
Most people move from June through August, and that’s when costs are higher. From September to June it’s significantly cheaper. It’s also much easier to get the exact moving date you want with less notice.
2. Number of Movers
We generally decide how many movers you need in order to avoid overtime costs, which kick in once the move takes 9 hours or more. Prices will fluctuate with demand.
- 2 movers: $125-175/hour on-season, $90-140/hour off-season.
- 3 movers: $175-225/hour on-season, $120-170/hour off season.
- 4 movers: $205-255/hour on-season, $150-175/hour off-season.
For 4-bedroom homes we usually need 4 movers.
4. Time it Takes to Complete Your Move
Once we get to work, we keep track of how much time it takes to get the truck loaded, get to your new home and then unload.
We have a 4-hour minimum for local moves.
6. Travel Time
If you live within the main part of Ottawa (Kanata to Orléans to Barrhaven) we charge for ½ an hour to get to your house and ½ an hour to get back once the move is done.
If you live outside of Ottawa, (for example, if you live in Casselman and are moving to Embrun) we charge the actual travel time.
Want to Save on Your Move?
If you’re tired of DIY moving but still want to save on your move, here’s the secret: it’s all about being prepared. Make sure everything you say you’re going to pack is packed. Here are some things to consider:
- Disassemble furniture like beds yourself if you’re able. The movers will pad and wrap all your furniture.
- Tear down workshops thoroughly and make sure tools are packed separately from workbenches. Even the strongest movers can’t bring a fully-loaded steel tool cabinet up from the basement!
- Prepare any appliances that you’re bringing to your new home. Moving a refrigerator involves several steps. Washing machine drums need to blocked before moving to keep them stable.
Unfortunately, many of our customers say they’ll have everything ready, but when the day arrives there’s still a lot left unpacked.
Moving in the off-season (September to June) can also mean you save anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on how much stuff you have.
How Much Does It Cost to Move Across Canada?
Our long distance moving costs work on a total weight times distance basis.
Our Movers Are Simply Better
We may cost more than the DIY approach, but we won’t just throw stuff into the truck the way your friends do when they’re helping you in exchange for beer and pizza.
- Trustworthy moving team. We also don’t just hire anyone who walks in off the street. Because we are a bonded company, every driver and mover on our team has passed a police background check.
- We have a lot of career movers. Some of our movers have been with us 10 – 15 years. They are very experienced and know how to handle even delicate antiques. We pay them more than the average mover gets because we want to keep them around, and we also provide benefits for them and their families.
- Better training for new hires. In the summer we have so much demand that we hire new workers. But we take extra care by always pairing them with experienced movers. New workers only handle packed boxes, not expensive or delicate furniture. That’s because if they make a mistake and cause damage to a wall, for example, then we need to pay to fix it.
Want to learn more about our moving services?
You want your moving day to go smoothly. Here's how to find the companies who are reliable and professional, and will give you good value for your money.
Rogue movers will quote you a super low price over the phone, only to start loading on the surprise extra fees on moving day. Learn how to recognize and steer clear of this menace with the tips in our infographic.
Some people take a DIY approach to moving to save money. But if you value your time, you may want to think about the real cost of do it yourself moving. In this post, we do the math for you and let you know about some risks you may not have considered.