Moving from Canada to the United States for work or school is a lot like moving across Canada, but there are several important differences. The big ones are the visa and the customs paperwork. These essential steps can go smoothly if you allow enough time and plan in advance.

Your Cassidy’s moving specialist will walk you through the process and will ensure you have all the details. Here’s an overview of what you need to know.

Paperwork and Preparation For Your Move to the United States

You’ll need two sets of documents: your work or student visa, and your customs forms.

Cassidy’s will need your work visa in order to get started, and we can help you find the customs document you need to fill out.

  1. Once you’ve been hired, your employer will provide you with a work visa in approximately 1 week to 1 month. The exact time will depend on the employer and how long your background check takes.
  2. Once you receive your work visa from your employer, you will need to drive to the border to have it stamped before you can call Cassidy’s to get the moving planning started.
  3. The exact customs forms you need will depend on your specific status, and your Cassidy’s representative will provide the ones you need and assist with any questions you may have.
  4. Once all paperwork has been completed, Cassidy’s will provide you with a free in-home moving assessment and estimate.
  5. Once that’s done, please allow a time window of about 2 weeks until moving day.

Moving Day

Cassidy’s will work with our partner United Van Lines to load, drive, and unload the truck at the final destination in the US. Packing services are available, and we can provide boxes and other moving supplies as well.

You do not need to be present at the border when your shipment goes through customs – your driver will accompany your belongings and submit the paperwork. You will need to have entered the US and declared your residency prior to your shipment, however.

Special Considerations Notes

  • Please be aware that, like most reputable moving companies, Cassidy’s has a weight minimum for shipments going to the United States. You belongings will need to weigh at least 2,100 pounds to be shippable.
  • Weapons and other dangerous materials cannot be shipped to the US. This includes things like replicas, antiques, and sporting equipment like starter pistols. If you have legitimate possessions that fall into this category you will need to bring them with you when you do your personal crossing.
  • Like most moving companies, we will bill the shipment in US dollars.

Need more information? Contact Cassidy’s to get started.

Need movers? Get a no obligation quote today.