Cassidy's Moving and Storage
Speed Cleaning: 10 Tips That Will Make Cleaning Go Faster
Nothing feels better than a house that’s clean and well cared for. But few things are more demoralizing than spending a big chunk of your weekend cleaning. Most people struggle to find a balance.
If you’re trying to find ways to keep your cleaning routine to a minimum, try these tips:
Step 1: Prep Work
Most people find that it’s not cleaning that takes all the time, it’s putting everything back where it’s supposed to go before you start. This section shows you how to minimize the main cleaning task.
- Commit to de-cluttering. Our previous post shows you how. Having so much stuff that it can’t be stored, accessed or used easily definitely makes the situation worse.
- Have a system. Make sure everything has a home, and that there’s a plan in place for things that get out of hand easily like mail (and other paperwork), magazines, and toys. Pretty baskets or boxes for these things help keep the mess under control.
- Tidy as you go. If you put things back when you’re done, you minimize tidying time before you clean.
- Break it up. Have multiple small prep sessions during the week instead of waiting until the weekend. If you need to do any tidying, do that during the week. Tackle other small jobs as time permits.
Step 2: The Cleaning Session
Now that you’ve made your cleaning task as small as possible, here’s how to get through it as quickly as possible:
- Team effort: make sure your family gets involved. As soon as your kids are old enough to hold a dust cloth, they should be helping. If everyone gets involved at the same time, the job gets done sooner.
- Gather what you need. Have all the tools you need ready to go in advance. Ideally, store cleaning tools as close as possible to where they are used.
- Focus. No social media breaks or other distractions until the job is done.
- Whistle while you work. Music makes chores go more easily – the key is to make sure that the work still happens and doesn’t turn into looking for the perfect next song.
- Go with the flow. Clean high to low (as dust will fall downwards), and go around the room in one direction. This prevents missed spots and backtracking.
- Rewards. Have something fun planned once the work is done.
Miracles are possible – you can have a clean house and a life too!
If you’ve just moved into a new home, there are some things you can’t forget to do right away. Put a pause on unpacking until you can get these important things done.
Tired of the clutter and never having a tidy home? Cut through it all with these 5 simple tips to a mess-free life. You’ll feel better almost instantly - and you can even make it fun for your family.
Moving into a smaller house comes with its own set of challenges. Be prepared for those challenges thanks to these expert tips!