Cassidy's Moving and Storage
How to Choose a Professional Moving Company in Ottawa
Here are some tips that will ensure that you’ve hired a company you can trust. Basically, it all comes down to doing some homework, asking questions, and looking for warning signs.
- Get recommendations. Check with friends, family, the Better Business Bureau, and any other local review sites. If you see a lot of complaints against the company, you may want to look elsewhere.
- Ask for references. Don’t forget to follow through and make the calls.
- Ask the company how their charges work. Most will charge by weight and distance, and there will be a fee for packing/unpacking if you need that option. If possible, meet with a representative of the company in your home so they can look at the amount of possessions you have and make a more accurate estimate. Make sure they know if you have anything in storage, or if you are leaving anything behind. Find out how binding the estimates are.
- Ask about insurance. Most reputable companies will provide a selection of coverage packages. Remember that some especially delicate or valuable items, like an art collection or antiques, may involve extra rates.
- Read your contract before you sign, and ask about anything you’re unsure of. The contract should include everything you’ve discussed about rates, pickup and delivery times, insurance and the mover’s liability for your possessions.
- Know your inventory. Before the move, review the inventory sheet and make sure it’s accurate. Once everything has been delivered, check that everything has arrived in good condition.
Unfortunately there are moving scams. Here are a few warning signs that your company is less than reputable:
- The company’s website should have a physical address, not a PO Box number.
- The company is not a member of any associations (like the Canadian Association of Movers in Canada) or independent consumer groups (like the Better Business Bureau).
The busy season for movers is June through September, so be sure to call well in advance to give yourself the time you need to do your homework. It’s better to be sure of the company, especially for long distance or international moves.
If you've never used a fully bonded moving company before, you may be unsure of how much it costs to move. Here are some real prices for average moves - but please get us to give you a real quote to be sure.
Loading a moving truck is a really important skill if you want to keep your belongings safe and undamaged. We show you how step-by-step with photos.
Don’t hire a mover before you’re happy with the answers they provide to the following questions. It takes time to find out, but keeps you protected from moving scams.